Tuesday, August 28, 2012

wisdom in 96

Every other Tuesday, I clean for an elderly man named Vince.
he is 96 years old.
I think he may live to be 100.

Every Tuesday when we arrive he gives me a big hug.
There is nothing like a hug from an elderly, 96 year old.
It feels different then a hug from just a regular old person for some reason.

And every other Tuesday I ask him:
"How are you doing today Vince?"
and he responds with "Not too bad for an old guy like myself!"

It makes me smile everytime.

His wisdom and view on the world is like no others.
His stories and the things he has witnessed are like no other.
He is a jolly old guy that has not let the world make him bitter.
Infact he is exactly the opposite.
Which I think is why he has lived so long.
His heart is pure and good, and his mind is still sharp and clear.

Recently I went to his house and had some life struggles on my mind.
I shared with him what was on my heart briefly and then he looked at me and said
"Well, Im just an old guy that has alot of time to listen! so go ahead... tell me whats on your mind"
And so I did.
I shared with him what was going on in my life... and he gave me some of the best advice.
Because he is so wise.

 I look forward to every other Tuesday when I get to see him.
I always wonder what it will be like the day the Lord decides to bring him home.
I will forever miss his talks and hugs.
For now, I look forward to the next Tuesday when I get to see him again.
and get my hug. :)

photo credit: Sarah McArthur Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment